It’s simple to make and will be ready in under an hour. Perfect for Game Day or a family dinner.Serve this vegan chili to all the meat eaters in your life and see if they aren’t impressed!Vegan Chili.
As long as you use gluten free tamari instead of soy sauce, this recipe is gluten free.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VEGAN CHILI:
- Sour Cream
- Vegan cheese shreds
- Diced tomatoes
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped cilantro
- Hot sauce
Meaty Tofu Crumbles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce/ tamari (for gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- (1) 14-ounce firm tofu
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, mince
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- (2) 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- (2) 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- (1) 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
For the Tofu Crumbles:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the soy sauce, nutritional yeast, chili powder and smoked paprika. It will be pasty. Now crumble the tofu into the bowl with your hands, and mix together using a large spoon until well combined with the paste.
- Spread the tofu mixture evenly in the pan. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring the tofu halfway through. Once the tofu is in the oven, start the chili.
For the Chili:
- In a large pot over medium heat, add a few tablespoons of water OR olive oil. Add the chopped onion and saute 3-4 minutes until translucent. In the garlic and cook 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Add more water if needed to prevent burning.
- Now add all the rest of the chili ingredients, except the tofu, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the tofu crumbles are done baking.
- If a thicker consistency is desired, use an immersion blender and blend just a few times. Do this before you add the tofu, preferably.
- Once the tofu crumbles are done, stir them into the pot. All done! Serve with vegan sour cream, cornbread, tortilla chips, cilantro, tomatoes, hot sauce, vegan cheese shreds and/or chives if desired.
- For gluten free, make sure to use tamari instead of soy sauce.
- May omit the tofu crumbles if desired, or replace them with vegan beef crumbles.
- May substitute diced tomatoes for the crushed tomatoes if desired. I prefer not to have large canned tomato chunks in my chili.
- This chili will keep in the fridge for about 4 days, and also freezes well.
Prep Time: 10 mins, Cooking Time: 30 mins, Total Time: 40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 320 kcal