Well I’m still searching for the perfect keto breadstick recipe, but in the meantime, this recipe for low carb mozzarella sticks is easy and delicious. It’s one of those things that’s so simple to substitute that I almost don’t understand why anyone makes them the “normal” way to begin with. By swapping out the white flour for coconut flour and the breadcrumbs for grated parmesan, you get a result that’s pretty close to identical but much lower in carbs.
These low carb cheese sticks also have the added benefit of filling the occasional need for keto-friendly convenience foods. I like to make a double batch and store some in the freezer for later use. They can be cooked from frozen, so if I keep some on hand then I’m never more than about ten minutes away from cheesy, melty awesomeness.
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
These cheese sticks are breaded in egg, parmesan, and coconut flour before being fried to crispy, low carb perfection.
- 5 one ounce sticks of mozzarella string cheese, halved widthwise
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or 1/2 t. each of dried basil and oregano)
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk egg with salt and pepper in a small bowl. In a separate shallow dish, combine the dry ingredients.
- Dip each piece of cheese into the egg, and then roll in the parmesan mixture to coat. Repeat this twice to form a double coating on each cheese stick.
- Place cheese sticks into a small rectangular dish or other container, and chill in the freezer for at least 25 minutes.
- Heat about half an inch of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry cheese sticks until golden brown, about 60 to 90 seconds per side. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Serve alone, or with a side of low carb marinara sauce for dipping.
Each 5 stick serving comes out to about 390 kcal, 28g fat, 3g total carbs, 1.3g fiber, 1.7g net carbs, and 35g protein.
Prep Time: 40min
Cook Time: 10min
Total Time: 50min
Photo source: Flickr