Don’t get me wrong here, I love my eggs but I don’t think eggs should be part of bread making. Eggs always add too much moisture or eggy flavor to bread and I simply don’t like it. That is why I make all my keto wraps with no eggs like my keto coconut flour flatbread or keto flaxseed wraps. Avoiding eggs in keto bread make it more real.
There is plenty of options to enjoy those as part of your keto diet. I will ist you all my favorite way to enjoy those simple keto bread rolls.
Keto bread rolls NO EGGS ! 100% Vegan + Dairy free + Low Carb + Grain free. Delicious crispy bread rolls made of almond flour, coconut flour and psyllium husk.
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour (122g)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (30g)
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons ground psyllium husk (37g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup hot water – think hot bath temperature like 40C
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds – optional
- Preheat oven to 375F (180C) Lay a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients first : almond flour, coconut flour, ground psyllium husk, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add apple cider vinegar, olive oil and stir in the hot water. Combine for 1 minutes with a spatula, the water will absorb gradually, drying out the mixture to create the bread dough. It should stay a bit soft and sticky that is normal but you should be able to form a ball with your hand. If not add slightly more husk 1 teaspoon at a time. You want the ball to hold together, it is ok if it is moist. Don’t add more than 1 tablespoon of husk.
- Set aside 10 minutes to let the fibre absorbs the liquid . The dough should be elastic, soft and easy to divide into 6 small balls.
- Roll each small balls between your hands and place them one by one on the baking tray. No need to leave more than half thumb between each bread as they won’t expend while baking.
- With a pastry brush, brush the top of each bread balls with a bit of tap water.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top f each bread – optional but delicious!
- Bake 40-45 minutes at 180C (375F). I recommend you place the tray at the very BOTTOM of the oven for 30 minutes then swap to TOP level of the oven for 10-15 extra minutes. If you love your bread crusty turn onto grill mode for an extra 5 minutes after the 40-45 minutes baking time. Watch them closely to avoid the top to burn – if you use the grill method.
- Fully cool down a cooling rack.
- Slice halfway and enjoy as a bread roll with butter, ham or cheese.
- Store in the pantry for 5-6 days. I wrap mine in a towel to keep them fresh and rewarm them sliced, in my toaster to add some crispiness. You can also freeze the bread and double the recipe to make more ahead.
Purple bread: note that some psyllium husk brand turns your baking into a purple-ish color. If it happens, it is still good to eat, simply use a different brand to avoid this next time.
calories – 203